Sunday, July 17, 2016

Growing Still

We have reached the halfway point of the girls summer visit this year. Halfway marks are a good place to take stock. I am exhausted. When speaking to other grandparents my age they often say that after a day or two they are worn out so I guess two straight weeks with the prospect of two more can be reason enough for my weariness. bedtime this year for some reason has not been a piece of cake. I think they must still be on Alberta time as evidenced by the fact that I am writing this entry at almost ten oclock in the morning and they are both still sound asleep. I have decided not to make bedtime an issue but that being said I need to get myself to bed before midnight. However the rest of the bedtimes play out I will survive. Reading back to two summers ago in my journal this morning I recall the sense of accomplishment Emma felt when she swam under water for the first time. Now two years later she swims under and on top of the water with great ease and confidence. She made it out and back from the raft twice yesterday , taking help from Monkey and Toad to get out there but swimming back totally on her own. I expect by the end of her visit both ways will be within her comfort level. Two years ago we were toilet training Paige and needless to say that accomplishment is just a given now. I see them grow and develop every single day. What precious little people they are and my exhaustion will be forgotten and replaced very quickly with longing to see them minutes after they board the plane for home. My sunflowers are stretching up as well. They stand in a row now just a few inches off the ground but as the days and weeks go by they will reach higher and I look forward to watching that. I look forward as well to the victories and changes I will see next year in our granddaughters. The challenges will change although I expect Grampie's teasing and "bossy " ways might stay the same. So today I take a deep breath and prepare for the busy day ahead knowing that days like this one will not return and I only get the privilege of living it just this one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment